Getting Started



Making an informed decision about the best option for you

Aged care can seem complicated and daunting, so we’ve created a step-by-step guide to help you navigate the system and make an informed decision about the best option for you.


Undertake an Aged Care Assessment with My Aged Care

The first step is to contact My Aged Care to organise an Aged Care Assessment. The assessment is entirely free of charge and determines the best level of care for you.

To complete your Aged Care Assessment, you must:

  1. Register your details with My Aged Care by calling 1800 200 422. If you would like someone to speak on your behalf, you will need to give verbal or written consent.
  2. Once you have registered, a member of your local Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) will contact you and organise a time to meet with you at home or in hospital.
  3. Your Aged Care Assessor will meet with you at the agreed time and place and evaluate your care needs. They will develop a support plan based on these needs.

Once the aged care assessment is completed, you will receive a letter detailing what type of services you’re eligible for. Make sure to keep your letter – it proves that you’re eligible to receive specific Australian Government subsidised aged care services.


Find the right aged care home

Once you receive your Aged Care Assessment letter with the services you’re eligible for, you’re ready to look for an aged care home. When looking for a home, you may want to think about what is important to you – proximity to family, the level of care, and your personal interests and preferences.

My Aged Care has a handy Aged Care Home Finder, or you can contact Scalabrini directly on 1800 722 522 for information about our villages. One of our friendly Customer Relationship Managers will be delighted to speak with you to understand your specific needs, answer any questions and discuss how we can be of help to you. If you would like, they can also organise a time to meet with you and show you around.


Organise finances

There are three types of fees:


Accomodation Fee

You have the following payment options:

• A single upfront, once only, lump sum Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD); or

• Pay as you go Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP); or

• A combination payment which allows you to pay a proportion of your accommodation costs as a lump sum (RAD) and a proportion as a daily fee (DAP).

*see the example below


Daily Service Fee

There are two daily service fees:

01. Basic Daily Fee – Covers livings costs such as meals, cleaning and laundry; The maximum Basic Daily Fee is set by The Department of Human Services and is the single person rate of the basic age pension.

02. Scalabrini Service Fee – This is for your premium surroundings, entertainment, lifestyle, pastoral care and wellness services.


Care Fee

You may be required to make a co-payment* toward the cost of your care.

This is referred to as a Means Tested Care Fee and is determined by The Department of Human Services by assessing your personal assets and income.

If you are required to make a co-payment, you will need to pay the daily rate as informed by The Department of Human Services, until you reach the annual cap.

If you do not need to make a co-payment, the Australian Government will pay the full cost of your care.

*As at 20 March 2022, the total yearly cap for your contribution is $29,399.40, with a lifetime cap of $70,558.66.

The fees and amounts you pay will depend on your personal situation, the time you enter care, the information you provide to the relevant Australian Government Departments, and your personal and financial information at the time of the assessment.

* Accommodation Payment Options Working Example:

John has been told that the accommodation payment for his selected aged care home is $1,000,000. Please note, this is an EXAMPLE ONLY. For room prices please refer to the individual village pages.

The following payment options are available to John:


John can make a fully refundable upfront payment (RAD)



John can pay as he goes; (DAP) Invoiced monthly

Daily fee: $1,000,000 x 4.07% / 365 = $111.51

Monthly payment: $111.51 x days in the month

The amount payable is calculated by using the permissible interest rate set by the government. The current rate is 4.07%

A & B

John may choose a combination of options (a) & (b)

Fully refundable upfront payment of $500,000

Daily fee: $500,000 x 4.07% / 365 = $55.75

Monthly payment: $55.75 x days in the month


01. Get Financial Advice 

We recommend you seek independent financial advice from a professional.

02. Organise a Financial Assessment

You should organise a financial assessment by submitting a Permanent Residential Aged Care Request for a Combined Assets and Income Assessment form to Department of Human Services (DHS). Aged Care Calculator.

Forms can be downloaded from the Department of Human Services website. Completed forms must be mailed directly to the Department of Human Services in Canberra.

The DHS will review your submission (this will take approximately 4-6 weeks) and send you an income and assets assessment letter which will detail any costs you are required to contribute to your care and accommodation.

You will need to forward this letter to your preferred aged care provider.


Apply for an aged care home

Now it’s time to apply for a home that suits your needs.

If you would like to live in one of Scalabrini’s quality villages, or place a loved one in our care, please submit an Application Form as soon as possible to secure a place on our waitlist.

As part of the application process, at Scalabrini we perform a care needs and lifestyle assessment prior to approval of your application. The assessment ensures we can offer the best possible care that is suited to your specific needs.

Once your application is approved, you will receive a Residential Aged Care Agreement and other important documentation.


Move into your new home

It’s time for a new chapter in your life. We look forward to welcoming you and making you feel at home and settled.

Please download our resident handbook which will provide you valuable information to help you settle in at Scalabrini.

Our resident handbook is also available in Italian, Spanish, and Greek

Contact Us

Send us a Message