With so many different aged care providers saying that they provide the best service, how to you know where to place your loved one to ensure quality care?
The Star Rating system from the Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care was introduced and rolled out to all aged care providers in late 2022 with the goal of helping older Australians and their families to compare the quality and safety performance of different services.
Star Ratings will support older Australians and their representatives to easily compare services and make informed choices based on an overall Star Rating and four sub-categories:
- Compliance– based on non-compliance decisions made by the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission reported daily.
- Residents’ Experience– at least 10% of older Australians living in residential aged care homes are interviewed face-to-face about their overall experience at their residential aged care home by a third-party vendor annually.
- Staffing minutes– derived from reporting under the Quarterly Financial Report and Annual Financial report, case-mix adjusted through the Australian National Aged Care Classification and reported quarterly.
- Quality Measures– data on five existing quality indicators (pressure injuries, physical restraint, unplanned weight loss, falls and major injury, and medication management) reported quarterly.
The introduction of Star Ratings is a key milestone in the aged care reforms and will deliver a range of benefits, including:
- •. Transparency about the quality of care in all aged care homes
- •. An easy way to compare the quality of aged care homes using the free ‘Find a provider’ tool on the My Aged Care website
- •. Nationally consistent quality measures to monitor, compare and improve aged care
- •. Providers will be engaged to continuously improve their Star Ratings, improving the quality of care for older Australians.
Feel free to read more about the Star Rating system from the Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care here: https://www.health.gov.au/our-work/star-ratings-for-residential-aged-care
You can also see the Star Ratings for aged care providers including all the Scalabrini village locations with the ‘Find a provider’ tool here: https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/find-a-provider-choice
If you have any further questions about Scalabrini’s star rating and how we operate at our villages, feel free to contact us by phone at 1800 722 522 or email us at email@example.com