About the Scalabrinian Missionaries
The Congregation of the Missionaries of St Charles Borromeo or the Scalabrinians is an international community of priests and brothers founded in Piacenza, Italy, in 1887 by the Blessed Giovanni Battista Scalabrini.
The congregation was called to nurture the religious life of migrants and refugees, especially in the destination countries of the migrations.
Through their sensitive listening and pastoral commitment the Fathers responded to the needs of the ageing and frail Italians.
The Scalabrinians are currently located in 24 countries across the continents of Asia, Australia, Africa, Europe and the Americas.
They also manage homes for refugees, migrants and deported
aliens, seamen’s centres and centres for migrant studies.
They first sought to provide spiritual ministry and to build community for Italian migrants living in foreign countries. As part of their community building the Scalabrinians developed a range of pastoral services for migrants around the world. They provide education in schools, local organization for cultural activities, care for the sick, counseling and legal referral, advocacy and care for the elderly.
They publish newspapers and magazines and broadcast on radio and televsion. They also staff parishes, run religious houses of formation and engage in preaching missions
They also encourage research into migration and maintain dialogues with political and civil groups involved in migration issues.
The Scalabrini Village was formed in 1969 by the Scalabrinian Fathers, an Italian missionary order, and a group of businessmen from the Italian community. The Scalabrianian Fathers and the community built the first of the retirement villages for aged Italian migrants as part of their mission to care for migrant Italians. Since then the Scalabrini Village has grown into a large organisation supporting six aged care facilities in Sydney and Griffith.